12 December 2008

The Well of Ascension, by Brandon Sanderson

Another good read by Sanderson. My one biggest complaint is that we still have no idea what the Well of Ascension actually is. I am not a big fan of a story where the climax just gets started on the last few pages.

I continue to like Sanderson's style of writing; there is something about his story-telling that draws me in, that compels me forward. Ironically, I find it hard to personally identify with any of the characters, but I do find them entertaining. The development of the Kandra background is quite intriguing, and the tie to Koloss makes for a very interesting character soup. The various twists are excellently played out.

The pairings of the allomantic metals is a great concept, but there do seem to be some holes. I like how the author allows the characters to discover things and have the reader learn as the characters do. But there are an odd number of such metals, hence not all of them can have pairs. I found it unbelievable that the Ministry knew nothing about Duralumin, and that Zane was able to duplicate and master it so quickly (even with the Kandra's help).

Overall, I like the story. I did not love it, though. I do look forward to the third book.

No comments: