28 December 2008

Sins of a Solar Empire, by Stardock/Ironclad

In light of my earlier post on Stardock, I was playing the demo for Sins. It is a good game, and I am hugely disappointed there is no single-player story. Grrr!!

I cannot help but feel like this game was hugely inspired by Homeworld, with a little bit of Galactic Civilizations thrown in. The graphics are great (not awe-inspiring, but great) and the gameplay is refreshingly easy to grasp. The ships scale well (fighters and bombers are really small, planets are big). The sounds leave something to be desired, and I was hoping more from explosions (it is appropriate that the capital ships leave debris, but they all explode and fragment the same way). Also, as I am only playing the demo, I have read that it is possible for one of the races to upgrade to a level where you can target specific sub-systems. I hate that. This should be something that any race, any ship can do. Even if you only target a physical part of the ship (aft, port, starboard, bow). I was also disappointed by the tech tree - it is not bad, but I want more of out of it, especially since there is no single-player scenario. On the other hand, I was really impressed that some of the games can take hours upon hours; this can be a bad thing, if all you are doing is waiting. The slow pace of the game is good to some degree; or rather, good for certain aspects. It is nice that you can complete a black market deal without having to just close the window and frantically jump to the system that is under attach. The flip side is that the weapons are notoriously weak; it takes a long time to pummel other ships and planets. It is an interesting choice, especially when you figure that genre-setting building blocks like Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica allowed capital ships to annihilate fighters and corvette-class ships with a single shot; even fighters had enough firepower to obliterate another fighter. But not in this game.

The nuance of "persuasion" and "culture" are interesting; I have not yet been able to fully test how effective it is in the demo, but I can at least see my culture spreading.

I am very tempted to buy this game. I like the direction that Stardock and Ironclad are going, but I really miss the single-player element. We will see....

No comments: