28 December 2008

Quantum of Solace, 2008

I really like Daniel Craig as a James Bond character; a pleasant change from Brosnan (*gag*). The car scene at the beginning was appropriately great; good bang 'em up. And the chase scenes on top of, to the side of and through buildings was excellent. I am curious how many of his own stunts Craig does. Very impressive stuff regardless.

But the story was a bit lame. And I have always hated Bondesque boat chases - they are so contrived and nothing resembling reality. Granted, a lot of the movie is that way, but I can live with most of it. But not boat chases. And back to the story.... it just did not grip me at all. Maybe I missed it, but I have no clue what "Quantum" was even supposed to be.

Personally, I rather trade the Brosnan-era, including all the fun gadgets, for the hard-hitting, gadgetless Craig era. I just hope the story writers get with it.

No comments: