28 December 2008

Last Argument of Kings, by Joe Abercrombie

I really felt that #2 (Before they are hanged) and #3 (last argument of kings) could have easily been combined into one book (before they argue?). Having finished Abercrombie's trilogy, I can say that I am glad I read his work. His English origins peek through his writing at times, and perhaps, unfortunately, contributes to his phallic interests (what do I know). Other than that, I rather enjoyed his writing. To be honest, I was also a bit bothered by the blood and gore - a bit too much for me.

Another thing I found very interesting is the huge stack or layers of lies upon which the characters are built, specifically Bayaz. At first, we think he is a good guy, but by the end, your perceptions may be challenged. Mine were. But that is not saying much; who is the good guy? I was reminded of Vin Diesel's Riddick character, a force of evil fighting evil.

Throughout, Glotka was a very interesting character; an easy-to-hate, deformed, crippled, ruthless torturer who has a spark of conscience and noble mettle.

Another very minor thing I liked was Joe's choices for titles, not only for the book, but also for the chapters. I like the way he thinks, in that regard. Instead of fantastical conjurations that beg a stretch of imagination, Joe just puts it out there; if someone is going to talk about carrying lots of knives, that is what the title says.

No comments: