06 July 2009

Babylon A.D., 2008

To be honest, the only reason I picked this dvd up was because it had Vin Diesel and things blowing up. =) And call me weird, but the title made me think of Titan A.E., to the point I had "Babylon A.E." in my head. Yes, I am messed up, I realize that. I guess there are distant and vague similarities, but...

And while I like Vin Diesel, I have not been overly impressed by his sci-fi roles. I like him as an individual in the Riddick series, but the story line did not do him any favors. He really stands out in the down-to-earth, honest-to-goodness, bang 'em up here and now pieces like Fast and Furious.

Back to Babylon. What the heck is the title supposed to mean?!? It was never really explained in the movie - if it was, I totally missed it. The not-so-distant future of eastern Europe/Russia and New York was appropriately "just enough to be possibly believable". I enjoyed the tantalizing mystery of who (or what) Aurora was, and I thought Mélanie Thierry did a great job portraying her. Interesting to see Yeoh getting some screen time on a sci-fi flick - I like her character as well. The whole whacked-out religious angle was bigger than I could chew, and did not get how the "virgin birth" would legitimize the so-called religion.

The ending was just horrid. I felt like an artiste was sitting at the potter's wheel and keeled over from a heart attack, and some entrepreneuring capitalistic snob sold the unfinished work as the masterpiece it was not.

No comments: