12 July 2010

The Green Zone, 2010

I actually saw a "behind the scenes" clip off Tivo before I even heard about this movie; Matt Damon did a good job taking this bull by the horns and I love how he gets into character.

My only major complaint is that I utterly detest shaky cameras. Yeah, I know it is supposed to help the viewer feel like he/she is part of the action, but it totally kills the connection for me. I mean, you can't see anything!

So aside from that, great plot (with excellent twists along the way), excellent action, acting, direction.. all around, very good.

As this is a movie, and not a Michael Moore documentary, it really does make you wonder how much of this stuff could reflect reality. Especially in terms of the politics involved. I already do not trust the government as it is, and I am fully aware that the normal average joe is getting screwed over by large Corps and Big Money. The whole fiasco with MWD was (and still is) underplayed. (As an aside for robots that look for "common keywords", MWD = Microwarp Drive in Eve Online *grin*) It makes me sick that folks in high positions get away with so much crap and are able to side-step the normal checks and balances that restrain the rest of us mere mortals. This extends throughout large government and even down into the police force.

I liked Freddy a lot! Aside from his believable performance, he was given some very key lines and for me, as an otherwise ignorant American, gave me a picture for what I believe the Iraqi heart might look like. Americans really need to stop sticking their nose in other countries. This whole idea of "democracy" as put forth by politicians (especially those in power) is a farce and has already exacted a huge toll on the global society.

No comments: