09 January 2010

Duplicity, 2009

Like Doubt, this one left too much up in the air. Not quite as bad. Unfortunately, I do not like the main leads (Clive Owens and Roberts have done a number of flicks together now, and I do not like their clashing smashups at all).

The director did pull some of the loose threads together, which I appreciated. The "twist" at the end even comes across as intentional, instead of a poorly done movie. One line I did not quite get, out of the many I did not get, was when Claire (Roberts) says to Ray (Owen) during one fun kissing scene is "We still do not trust each other". Sure, I get that in the espionage business, the key is never to trust anyone. But they did trust each other. I came away thinking that they direction allowed them to have too much bonding time with each other; if they truly did not trust each other, they should have been a bit more evil, cruel, conniving, manipulative. Don't get me wrong, plenty of that was going on, but it was feeling too much like "Mr. & Mrs. Smith".

No comments: