23 July 2008

Wanted, 2008

Don't you hate it when a preview shows you all the action scenes? Fortunately, Wanted was not like that, but it was close. I "wanted" to like this flick, and it was fun to watch it on the big screen. I loved the twists near the end. I hated the final punch at the very end (some cute smaller details, but....). So maybe this was a love/hate movie.

I appreciated the primary actor (James McAvoy); I thought he did a decent job, especially standing up next to some bigger names. He had a great mix of nervous trepidation and overconfident machismo, a perfect picture of an immature kid coming into his own (or in this case, a young man).

While I really enjoyed the special effects, the curving bullets "special power" got a little overused, especially since to engage said power one has to fling one's arm out in a most unhealthy and most inaccurate fashion. I really like the smaller details (and the not so small); the whole build-up with the mice, special messages on the bullets.

The whole thing with the loom was a disaster. 'Nuff said.

No comments: